EXPLORING EARTHS MYSTERIES

Friday, July 2, 2010

North American Road Trip Pt10 - Sturgis

When I used to hear the word “biker” my brain would conjure thoughts of huge tattooed, pierced, Hells Angel hanging out in a seedy bar doing illegal things. So when we ended up in Sturgis during Bike Week I was worried about gang wars and “rough” people that I may encounter (pardon my ignorance). This was not the case at all in Sturgis. Granted I am sure there was a little seediness…there were a couple of stabbings, and some less than classy moments (wet t-shirt contest? No thanks….And I ain’t showing you nothing. This ain’t Mardis Gras and I’m not a girl gone wild), but for the most part they were just everyday people. I didn’t see any Hells Angels or Satan’s Choice. Instead I saw a lot of Christain groups. There were bikers of all ages. I even saw a 70 year old wearing a bow tie and suspenders with his elderly wife in her granny shoes hanging off his back. They rocked that Harley! There was a lot to see and not once did I feel unsafe. The only downfall was that hotels were stupidly expensive (Motel 8 was $250/night), aaaaaannnnnd I felt a little out of place driving a car. I probably wouldn’t go out of my way to go back for Bike Week (even if I had a bike), but it was a great experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment